Apply For Zakat
As one of the Five Pillars of Islam, zakat is a religious obligation for all Muslims who meet the necessary criteria of wealth. It is a mandatory charitable contribution, often considered to be a tax.
According to the Quran's Surah Al-Tawba, there are eight categories of people (asnaf) who qualify to benefit from zakat funds.
"Alms are for the poor and the needy, and those employed to administer the (funds); for those whose hearts have been (recently) reconciled (to Truth); for those in bondage and in debt; in the cause of Allah; and for the wayfarer: (thus is it) ordained by Allah, and Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom."
— Qur'an, Sura 9 (Al-Tawba), ayat 60
Islamic scholars have traditionally interpreted this verse as identifying the following eight categories of Muslim causes to be the proper recipients of zakat:
- Those living without means of livelihood (Al-Fuqarā'), the poor
- Those who cannot meet their basic needs (Al-Masākīn), the needy
- To zakat collectors (Al-Āmilīyn 'Alihā)
- To persuade those sympathetic to or expected to convert to Islam (Al-Mu'allafatu Qulūbuhum), recent converts to Islam, and potential allies in the cause of Islam
- To free from slavery or servitude (Fir-Riqāb), slaves of Muslims who have or intend to free from their master by means of a kitabah contract
- Those who have incurred overwhelming debts while attempting to satisfy their basic needs (Al-Ghārimīn), debtors who in pursuit of a worthy goal incurred a debt
- Those fighting for a religious cause or a cause of God (Fī Sabīlillāh), or for Jihad in the way of Allah by means of pen, word, or sword, or for Islamic warriors who fight against the unbelievers but are not salaried soldiers.
- Wayfarers, stranded travellers (Ibnu Al-Sabīl), travellers who are traveling with a worthy goal but cannot reach their destination without financial assistance
There are several factors that affect your eligibility for income support. If you meet these criteria, you can apply for Income Support. The process typically takes 1 weeks.
Age and residency
- live in Calgay and area
- be at least 18 years old
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, refugee or refugee claimant
- be unable to pay for your basic needs
- not have income or assets that exceeds:
- $5,000 in RRSPs per adult
- $10,000 equity in vehicles
- not have income that exceeds what your necessary expenses
- not have excess cash or savings.
- be willing to apply for other income programs that you may be eligible to receive (such as Employment Insurance and Income Support)
Ability to work
Your situation must be one of the following. You:
- are looking for work
- are working but not earning enough
- are unable to work for a short time
- need help to access training to find a job
- are unable to work due to chronic health problems or other concerns
Information and planning
You must be willing to:
- provide personal and financial information for all members of your household (3 months bank statement)
- develop and follow a plan to improve your situation
For more information, call us at 403-291-0222
Download the pdf file linked below and provide the documents mentioned on the first page.
Once you have collected all your documents, call us or email u to book an appointment.