Apply for money to pay for basic expenses like food, clothing and shelter.
According to the Quran’s Surah Al-Tawba, there are eight categories of people (asnaf) who qualify to benefit from zakat funds.
“Alms are for the poor and the needy, and those employed to administer the (funds); for those whose hearts have been (recently) reconciled (to Truth); for those in bondage and in debt; in the cause of Allah; and for the wayfarer: (thus is it) ordained by Allah, and Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom.”— Qur’an, Sura 9 (Al-Tawba), ayat 60
Scholars have traditionally interpreted this verse as identifying the following eight categories of Muslim causes to be the proper recipients of zakat:
- Those living without means of livelihood (Al-Fuqarā’), the poor
- Those who cannot meet their basic needs (Al-Masākīn), the needy
- To zakat collectors (Al-Āmilīyn ‘Alihā)
- To persuade those sympathetic to or expected to convert to Islam (Al-Mu’allafatu Qulūbuhum), recent converts to Islam, and potential allies in the cause of Islam
- To free from slavery or servitude (Fir-Riqāb), slaves of Muslims who have or intend to free from their master by means of a kitabah contract
- Those who have incurred overwhelming debts while attempting to satisfy their basic needs (Al-Ghārimīn), debtors who in pursuit of a worthy goal incurred a debt
- Those fighting for a religious cause or a cause of God (Fī Sabīlillāh), or for Jihad in the way of Allah by means of pen, word, or sword, or for Islamic warriors who fight against the unbelievers but are not salaried soldiers.
- Wayfarers, stranded travellers (Ibnu Al-Sabīl), travellers who are traveling with a worthy goal but cannot reach their destination without financial assistance.
There are several factors that affect your eligibility for income support. If you meet these criteria, you can apply for Income Support. The process typically takes 2 weeks.
Age and residency
- live in Alberta
- be at least 18 years old
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, refugee or refugee claimant
- be unable to pay for your basic needs
- not have income or assets that exceed these guidelines:
- $5,000 in RRSPs per adult
- $10,000 equity in vehicles
- Income or cash that exceeds your family’s necessary expenses
- be willing to apply for other income programs that you may be eligible to receive (such as Employment Insurance and Alberta Works)
How to apply
Step 1. Fill out an application
After filling the application form, you can email it to: email@example.com and we will get back to you with an appointment, or call us on (403)291-0222 to schedule one.
Step 2. Meet with the social worker
Bring these documents to your meeting with the worker:
- identification (Alberta health card, driver’s licence)
- proof of assets
- 3 months banking information
- proof of employment income
- medical forms (if you cannot work)
- immigration papers if you came to Canada in the last 10 years